Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Gentle Leader


I have been struggling with Harvey lately on our runs. He would pull, pull, pull until around mile 9 on my 10 mile runs. I was using a choke collar where if he would pull, the collar would tighten around his neck. He didn't care. It didn't even phase him that he couldn't breath and his tongue was turning blue. I was getting very frustrated at him and my sore arms.

So I went to Petco needing a solution fast. The employee guy there suggested a collar called The Gentle Leader. It's a collar that goes around his neck and then up around his snout. If he starts to pull, his whole head gets jerked back, which will prevent him from pulling. So I decided to give it a try. I brought it home and tested it on Harvey in the backyard. He hated it. He kept trying to get it off. He did a somersault to try to get it off. But after much practice I have to say, I was excited to go on a run the next morning with Harvey. So Saturday was my long run and it was AMAZING! No pulling, so sore arms, no heavy breathing (from Harvey anyway), and no blue tongue! If you have a dog that pulls when he walks or runs, I strongly suggest The Gentle Leader!

3 comments:

Jay said...

You look better after a 10 mile run than I look BEFORE a 2 mile walk/job. . . .hahaha . . . You're amazing!

I'm so glad you found something that works with that unruly dog of yours ;)

Em

Jay said...

We need to get one sized for your husband so he can go on walks with you too!

Marcy said...

Liz, I'm so glad you blog. And you're an awesome runner. 10 miles sounds like it's nothing to you!