Sunday, August 24, 2008

Cindy's Homemade Bread

Sadie asked me if I had a good bread recipe. In response to that I say, "Heck ya I do!!" I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, Cindy, who to me is one of the best cooks I know. This bread recipe is delicious and you don't even need a mixer or a bread machine to make it. For a long time I made it just with a bowl and spoon. So if you are looking for a good bread recipe, here you go. I use it for my homemade pizza dough as well. Enjoy!
(This recipe is in Cindy's words):

6 C hot water
1/2 C oil
1/2 C sugar
3 rounded Tbs yeast (I use saf)
2 Tbs salt
10-12 C flour ( maybe more, I nver measuer my flour I mostly go by texture)
Place water, sugar, oil, and salt into bread mixer. I use a bosch mixer. Then add about 4 cups of flour then add the yeast. Let it continue to mix using one cup at a time. I add flour until it starts to pull away from the edges, then I watch to make usre I don't get too much flour as it makes for real dry bread. I feel the dough to make sure that it is not too sticky, but does stick slightly to your finger.
Oil a large plastic mixing bowl then dump your dough into the bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap to keep from drying out. Let it rise, then punch it down and let it raise again. About 20-30 minutes each time depending on the warmth of your house.
Divide into six equal pieces. Spray bread loaf pans then make bread into loafs. Place in pans and let rise till double in size. Place in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. When done baking dump out of pans. Let cool completely before bagging.

1 comment:

Sadie Lynn said...

Thanks so much LIz I am really excited to try it. Even though I am a little nervous hope it works out.