Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Ferret, A Monkey, Or A.....


I interrupt my Homemade Christmas with a funny conversation Carmen and I had that I just had to record. As I have already mentioned, she really wants a ferret for Christmas. I don't. But she has said that she would surpass me and go straight to Santa if I don't get her one.

A friend of ours shared a weird/freaky story with me the other day of a time she heard of a ferret gnawing at a newborns face and they haven't ever gotten it to look the same again. (On the news in California). I am sure that was very random and doesn't happen all the time, but um, yeah. We will be having a newborn in our home in a just a few short months. So here was the conversation:

Carmen: Mom, but I really want a ferret.

Me: I don't think you do. I heard a story about a ferret that gnawed at a babies face and the baby didn't look normal after that. We are having a baby and we need to be careful.

Carmen: Well, then I'll have a monkey then.

Me: Well, there have actually been monkey's that do that very same thing.

Carmen: Hmmm, well, okay. I will have....instead....What kind of animal won't gnaw my face off?

I started to laugh out loud at that point. Poor thing just wants a little animal to interact with.

So for a little family outing yesterday, we took the kids to all the pet stores around and at one Carmen was able to actually HOLD two different ferrets. I was curious to see how she would interact with them. They seemed perfect. De scented. Potty trained. And they came with a cage. The first one sniffed her and then started to gently bite her skin, supposedly just getting to know her. He even bit on her soft little neck. It was all I could do at that point not to whack that little weasel out of her arms across the floor (Packer Paranoia), but I kept my cool. She then tried the other one and it did the same thing. David explained that that's how they get to know you and once they're comfortable with you it wouldn't do that anymore. While we were driving home I asked her, "Sissy, what do you think? Do you still want a ferret?" She replied, "No, not really." Yes! It worked! Don't worry. She won't be neglected for Christmas.

2 comments:

Teresa Gashler said...

That's so ridiculously cute!

Sara Packer said...

Great story. She is so cute.