
Within the last week, Carmen has woken up screaming uncontrollably with her eyes open and her body stiff. I go to check on her and there is nothing that I can do to calm her down and a few minutes later, she is sound asleep again.
So I did some research and found that it is something called night terrors. My nephews have had them and have grown out of it, and after talking to a few different mothers, their children have gone through them also. They occur most often in children who are under stress or extremely fatigued. And that is Carmen. She refuses to take a nap anymore, although I disagree. She is still so little and very active that I know she gets so tired by the time bedtime comes around.
The night terrors were scary for David and I. We didn't know what to do to comfort her, but come to find out, there is nothing you can do because they are asleep and don't respond. You just have to wait it out and she hasn't remembered anything about it when I ask the next morning. It's crazy stuff, but it comes with being a parent. We learn as we go.
1 comment:
If you ever want to talk night terrors I have lots of experience, unfortunately. 3 of my 5 have had them.
Post a Comment