Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Shattered Dreams

Graham went on a field trip today to the local ice skating arena. He was ecstatic this morning when he woke up. He came to me and said, "I feel like it's my birthday today!! That's how excited I am!" He reminded me to remember to send the money, pack his mittens in his backpack, and send him with his booster seat for the bus (by law). During breakfast he said, "This is going to be the best day ever!" Now remember that last time the 1st graders went on their field trip, to the bowling alley, Graham wasn't allowed to go because he didn't have enough "good behavior" points. So being that it was his first ever field trip in 1st grade, this was going to be amazing!!
When I saw Graham after school, that wasn't the case at all. In fact, he seemed a little down. I asked him how it went and if it was everything that he expected it to be. "Well......" He started to explain to me what a horrible time he had. Some of the reasons included:

  • He got two splinters (blisters)
  • He was the only one that was falling down
  • He cried when he fell the last time because it felt like he broke his knee cap
  • He took his socks off before he put on his skates because he noticed other kids were doing that as well.

So I asked him again, "Are you glad you went? Did you have a good time." He looked at me after thinking for a second and said, "No."

Sometimes the anticipation of something is much better and fulfilling than the actual event. I don't think ice skating is his thing. I should have known since I learned a couple years ago that rollerskating wasn't his thing either. I am sure that the next field trip will be better as long as they can keep their feet on the ground.

5 comments:

Becky said...

That's so sad. I wish I could have been there with him. I love Graham. Remember when we used to go to the Bubble and go ice skating? I remember we used to get Hot chocolate and put a vanilla Laffy Taffy in it. :)

Lindsay said...

That is so sad! I hope they have some field trips that suit Graham better.

Natalie said...

Oh no! That is too heartbreaking. Amber had a similar ice skating experience and it was awful to hear her say, "I guess I'm not like the girls on T.V." Hopefully Graham's splinters will heal quickly and he'll move on to something else bigger and better.

Megan said...

Oh No...poor Graham. Ice skating isn't my thing either. Too bad I couldn't be there with him so we could fall together =). Hope he has fun field trips ahead that suit him better!

Kate and Cole said...

Sad. Poor kid. Doesn't that just break your heart when you kid is sad and you can't do anything about it? it's the worst!