Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's as Easy as 1-2-3.....

...or so I thought. My great friend Laurel makes the best carameled apples and pears and has actually taught a class on how to do it a few times at our Super Saturdays in the ward. I have been busy teaching or doing projects both times that she taught her class and was only able to sit in for a few minutes each time, missing most of the presentation. I did get a copy of instructions on how to make them, but I misplaced it somewhere.
So last night, while the boys were busy watching the BYU game, I thought us girls could whip up some carameled apples. So easy, right? Nope. I couldn't get the darn caramel to stick to the apples. Later on, after I had given up, it came to me. I think Laurel taught that the trick was to put the apples and pears in boiling water for 20 seconds or something to boil the wax off. Oh well, they still tasted good and we had a fun time trying to do it.
So yummy dipped in caramel, white chocolate, and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

4 comments:

bookette said...

yup, that is the BIG secret - dip the fruit in the boiling water for about 10 seconds, and the caramel will stick. (it's either that, or scrub them really well - which never worked for me, I guess I don't scrub hard enough?)
I will post my instructions on my new blog ASAP. maybe with pictures, too.

Unknown said...

My mouth is watering just looking at them. Do you make house calls?

Lindsay said...

Just make sure you don't boil them too long. I made some gorgeous caramel apples a month or so ago - but when we bit into them, the fruit was all mooshy and cooked!
I guess you learn something new every time. :)

Natalie said...

Thanks for the good advice! Despite the sliding wax, your apples look divine and now I want to try. You are so talented!