Monday, July 12, 2010

Phil Packer Reunion 2010

We just got back from Park City where we had our family reunion. We rented 3 condos right next to each other at Bear Hollow Village. We had a blast! It's times like these that make me feel like family really should live close by each other. The kids played great together, and we had some great adult alone time after we put the kids to bed. Each condo had it's own private hot tub that we enjoyed late at night. The first night, 6 of us packed into a small 4 man hot tub causing the water to overflow onto our vans in the driveway below. :) Sarah, Sara Lin, and I enjoyed a few early morning runs on the scenic trails there. The kids would've lived in the pool if they could've. We teased David for being the one that wore his swimsuit the longest (a day and a half straight).
Phil Packer Family. Everyone minus James who is serving a mission in Argentina. We sure did miss him. All the grandkids love to play with their Uncle James. We put together a care package for him with notes from all of us and treats.
David Thompson Family 2010.
All the siblings minus James. Ben, Sam, Andy, Daniel, Becky, Sarah, and me. (Truman is on my opposite hip and you wouldn't even know it. This picture was very spontaneous.)
Yes, my brothers. They're so hilarious!
Late night snacking. We thought it would be a great idea to have each family bring 3 different things to put in a trail mix. It was a fun idea.....for a minute. By the end of the reunion, it actually felt really good to throw it away. It must've been the Chinese Rice Crackers mixed with the butterscotch chips. Yeah, it was a huge bowl.
Historic Main Street. We got some looks from people on the street. There were so many of us.
Graham talking his cousin's ear off, as always.
It took Morgan and Susie about a day to warm up to each other, but they played great after that, along with their other little cousin friend, Lily.
We had a hilarious and famous talent show. We always laugh about how silly it is because we really don't show our talents. It's more of a performance of whatever we can think of at that moment. Although, years ago I performed a pantomime I made up for my high school drama class and am now encouraged to perform every year. It's a story of me sneaking out of my house to go skinny dipping in a nearby lake, only to get caught while I am sneaking back into my window. Sarah and John surprised us this year with something they planned. They (or should I say their chins) sang "Jackson" from Walk the Line. It was awesome. We were hooting and hollering for everyone that performed. It wasn't until Becky, Sarah, and I did a clogging routine for everyone that the neighbor came over to see what all the ruckus was all about. Oops.

And this little guy was A-MAZ-ING. He made it so easy to be on vacation with a newborn. Such a sweetheart.
We had planned to have a field day at a park. Sarah, Sara Lin and I found the perfect park while we were out on one of our runs. Later we brought the family back to it. We packed lunches and played soccer, baseball, kick ball (I schooled everyone with my home run, oh yeah!), and aerobe. Becky brought her parachute for the kids. Here Morgan is playing Bocce Ball with Grandma and Grandpa Packer.
Last, but certainly not least, we had a Packer Film Festival. Each individual family made their own movie during some free time while we were there. Sam edited them and we watched them all the last night we were there. They were great! The movie that took the cake was Ben's. He played David Bowie years after he was the Goblin King from Labyrinth and he couldn't get over his role. He would spontaneously jump back into character. Singing and dancing to the you-remind-me-of-the-babe song. I may put it on the blog if I can get permission from Ben. That may have just been a private showing ;).
We had a blast!! Ben and Sara live in Arizona, so we don't get to see them hardly ever. When we got home on Saturday, I was really homesick for everyone. The time went way too fast. Can't wait for the next time. Love you guys!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at your talent show and movie night...actually just the whole time because your family is so funny!

Anonymous said...

Liz...you guys are darling! I freaking love the Packer Family!

Natalie said...

What a fun reunion! I definitely love the film festival idea, and I'm sure that was riotous. Truman is such a cutie, just like your other kiddos. We should really get together this summer. You are a darling family!